Skip to main content

Can I file a civil suit against my neighbor without hiring an attorney

Smyrna, NY |

I live in NY state and it was suggested to me by law enforcement, my town judge and an attorney that I should file a civil suit against my neighbor. He has harrassed my family to the point that we have put a security system on our house to prove the things he says and does to us. I have proof of these events and he is looking at a harrassment charge and trespass charge. This has gone on for over a year and I just want him to stop and be made to stop this ridiculous behavior. How do I go about filing a civil suit? I dont want to spend a fortune on an attorney, because I simply don't have that kind of money to throw away. Any steps that you can give me in handing this on my own is greatly appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can file suit but it will be hard because you don't know the procedures, how to conduct discovery, how to oppose a motion to dismiss, and how to try a case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


If you go to the county Clerk's office there may be information available on how to proceed with a pro ae lawsuit. It may be difficult but you are not required to have an attorney to litigate an action. You can also do research online or in a local law library.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


you can file a suit on your own and would have multiple options such as the supreme court, civil court and small claims court... depending on the amount you're suing for. you will inherently be met with difficulties as you're not trained in this area - however it is doable if you chose not to hire an attorney...