Skip to main content

Can I file a civil complaint or charge against someone who has made my minor daughters medical information public?

Santa Barbara, CA |
Attorney answers 3


Can you? Of course.

Will doing so get you anything? Absolutely no way to tell--you posted almost no facts or circumstances. What damages?

FYI there is no private right of action authorized under HIPPA (that means you won't be able to sue and recover from the wrongdoer). But your state MAY have other privacy laws that provide options.

See a CA attorney and discuss your options.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


You have left a few important things out: who, what, when, why, how.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Who did the disclosing, to whom, and for what purpose are all things that would need to be known to even start to answer such a question.