Can I file a bar complaint against a public defender?

Conyers, GA |

I have an attorney whose an pd and does not return ANY of my calls.

Yes you can. While I know PDs are overworked, they are subject to the same rules as any lawyer. They should return calls.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Let me get this straight: you are getting a FREE lawyer, paid by taxpayers, who probably has 2-3 times the caseload of an attorney in private practice and you want to tarnish his record because he won't return your calls? Have you considered that he's not returning you calls because he has nothing new to tell you on your case, or that he is busy with one of his many other clients who also aren't paying him? Complaining about him won't get you the level of free service you feel entitled to. And besides, he gets paid the same whether or not he calls you back.

Rather, you should hire a lawyer of your own choosing and pay him by the hour. That way, if he doesn't give you the attention you want, he doesn't get paid.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Didn't ask for your smart as comment. I can care less if he's free or not. The D.A.s office gave him my husbands bond order consent two weeks and he's yet to take over to him. He's not been indicted,he's been in there well over six months and still won't answer my calls. All I get is his secretary, who said he's coming this day, that day, blah blah blah.

John Arnold Steakley

John Arnold Steakley

Oh, you aren't the client? In that case the attorney has no obligation to talk to you at all. Your husband is the client, not you. To discuss your husband's case with you would violate the attorney-client privilege. He has no obligation to return your calls. I know several attorneys who will speak solely with the client and never to family members.

You really want your PD ticked off at you? Take a deep breadth before you put him/her on report . Remember the old song about tugging on Supermans cape '...you don't spit into the wind...'

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

I care less if he gets ticked off...I'm ticked off. I've been calm and patient long enough

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Okay, your call. best of luck.