Skip to main content

Can I expedite my request to change my status from F-1 to J-1 clinical? If yes, under WHAT CATEGORY can I fit my request?

New York, NY |

I need to know this before I can retain an attorney. The thing is that all those categories, such as Humanitarian situation, Compelling interest of USCIS, etc are so broad that I don't know whether I can meet the criteria and if yes under WHAT category. I already filed my application BUT the processing time goal for Vermont center is 2.5m. I don't have that much time since the residency program starts at the end of June. Moreover, before I start my residency I need to already have my J-1 approved and possess SSN. I can't even apply for SSN until I have J1 approved.Plus, getting SSN will take at least a week as well. I need to lease a car and rent an apartment as well, without SSN I can't do any of this.The hospital also needs the resident to work. Can I make a compelling argument to USCIS?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Humanitarian situations almost never motivate CIS to process a case faster.

Consider going home, getting a visa stamp and returning in time for your residency.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


The way to expedite this is to go home and apply for a J-1 visa stamp there.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You cannot.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.