Skip to main content

Can I enter Canada with a Misdemeanor petit larceny conviction?

Buffalo, NY |

I was convicted of misdemeanor petit larceny in April 2012 and given relief of disability paperwork. Am I allowed to enter Canada if I have the paperwork and my passport?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is a quasi-duplicate post. You cannot enter Canada with a petit larceny conviction. Canada does not have to respect another nation's relief of disability. Canada is a sovereign nation.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


You need to consult with a Canadian immigration attorney. The conviction may still be considered and you will need to apply for a travel permit.


Canada often denies entry with open cases. I'm not sure about closed cases. Call the Canadian embassy.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.