Skip to main content

Can i do durable power of attorney an a medical power without a attorney an just have it notary do it an then go file it

San Antonio, TX |

In a court house parent has cancer cant afford to pay for a attorney is there any resources out there please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can buy those forms at your local office supply store. Though, this is not recommended because those forms tend to be overly general, ignore specific circumstances and can have confusing instructions. Plus, they do not constitute legal advice. There are plenty of attorneys who can prepare these documents for your family for a reasonable price. Just search for attorneys here on Avvo, through the State Bar of Texas, and local bar associations and start calling them to get prices. Because everyone's circumstances do not fit neatly into a cookie-cutter form, you should really go to an estate planning attorney.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action.


If you truly want it done right, and I don't know why you would risk having it done wrong, hire an attorney. The preparation of just POAs should be inexpensive and pay off in the long run.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


Contact local bar association and see if you can get a referral to an attorney who will handle pro bono.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer