Skip to main content

Can I do Community Service in another county than the county I got a DUI at?

Buena Park, CA |
Attorney answers 6


I would not imagine that you would have any problem with that type of request.


You've just got to clear it with the court in LA first.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.


Almost certainly you will be able to do community service in another county, but you need approval first. Mainly because the Court expecting you to do the community service needs to be able to verify that you are doing the hours and at an approved facility.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Yes but you must ask for it at sentencing.



It is very likely that you will be allowed to do community service in the OC. Each courthouse has a room for you to go to after pleaing to sign up for community service so first go back to that room and ask for permission. Three different outcomes my happen: 1) they may grant you permission immediately; 2) they may ask you to go to the OC probation dept to find a qualify community service program; or 3) they may deny the request, which in response you are very polite, but then go ask the judge with your old attorney. I wish you the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


The best answer is "probably," but it candidly varies from county, by county. Some/most counties will accept such transfers of time from other counties, others will not. You should look in to it (the transfer between the 2 counties) before you enter your plea to make sure, and to be on the safe. Also, some counties will accept 'time' from other counties, but will charge a hefty fee first - so do your homework and check it all out before you plea... or hire an attorney to help you. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer