Skip to main content

Can I do anything to get my son back after the courts involuntarily terminated my rights and now the adoptive mother has passed

Holly, MI |

In short, I messed up ten yrs ago, I have been home almost 4 yrs now, have daughter fulltime and another who i share custody with her father, my son is the oldest he'll be 15, the state terminated my rights n he was adopted yet the adoptive mom passed away, he is now in care of his aunt(thru the adopted mother) he is unhappy n wants to be with his true family, I am in college n have a nice home, I just want my family back, I need ur help pls help me bring my son home n out of the ghetto.... thanks you so much

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. unless the aunt gives you guardianship.


No, at least not get custody if you're rights have been terminated.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


Unfortunately, the termination of parental rights is permanent and absolute. I am not sure what the state of your relationship with your son is currently, but the fact that you have no parental rights does nor prevent you from having a relationship with the child provided the aunt approves. Regardless, when he turns 18 he is free to reestablish a relationship with you if he so chooses.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer