Skip to main content

Can I do anything about a falsely brought charge of misdemeanor relating to a noise violation

Springfield, VA |


I am trying to find out more information about appealing/expunging/sealing a minor misdemeanor charge I have from 2005 in Richmond. This occurred when I was having a loud party in college at VCU, I was given a summons for "Create unnecessary noise" and apparently "obstruction of justice" This is completely unacceptable. Not only did I not understand the charge I was being given at the time, I believe there is absolutely no defensible evidence that the court could have brought against me. I plead 'no contest' because I thought I was only being given a charge related to the noise violation. Is there anything I can do to correct this unbelievable stain on my record which I did not know existed until yesterday?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are well beyond any period in which you may appeal the decision or ask for a rehearing. In addition, Virginia has no provision to have any conviction expunged, regardless of how far removed you are from the conviction. If you had been represented by counsel at the time, you may have had a better understanding of the charges and consequences, and been able to present a defense to them as well. Unfortunately, at this point there is nothing any attorney can do for you.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.