Can I divorce my husband in California even if we married in Las Vegas?

Upland, CA |

My husband and I can’t get along for quite some time now. I don’t want to deal the problems no more so I want a divorce. We were married in Las Vegas but we live in California.

Can we just get a divorce here?

We have been married for less than a year.

As long as you have lived in CA for the last 6 months you can file for divorce here. In fact, you cannot file in Nevada.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for you two.

California requires that one or both divorcing spouses have lived in California for the previous six months AND have lived in one of the state's counties for the previous three months.

So as long as you have been here long enough, you can file here in California.

Best,

Jason Beahm

Yes, you can file for divorce in California so long as you have lived in California for the last 6 months. For information and forms, go to:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/

I got marry in Las Vegas but I live in Miami is that an issue?

Yes, as long as you meet the jurisdictional requirements. Six months in the state and three months in the county in which you file.

For options on keeping your divorce respectful and out of court, feel free to call or visit my web site. You have options that will keep you both in control of the outcome, rather than relying on someone else to enforce an order on you. There is a better, less destructive way to divorce, with dignity. Don't be a statistic.

Good luck to you both.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.