Skip to main content

Can I defer my current credit card debt while I go back to graduate school?

Orlando, FL |

I have roughly $4500 worth of credit card debt, that I have not paid on in roughly 90 days because I stopped working to get a doctorate in pharmacy (Pharm D). My student loan company allowed me to defer my payment until I finish school. Can I do this with credit card debt? If I can't, what is the worst case scenario I am facing for not paying while I attend school full time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, I know of no program with credit card companies where you can defer paying debt because you are enrolled as a student.

In addition to the damage to your credit score caused by missing payments, the credit card companies may ultimately sue you to collect on the outstanding balance. I would encourage you to talk to a local attorney about options to deal with your debt.

I am an attorney licensed exclusively in the State of Washington. All information provided should never be interpreted as legal advice with respect to any particular situation. Review all information obtained on this website with skepticism and contact an attorney in your state if you have questions about the subjects discussed.


A credit card company is not required to defer your debt while you are in graduate school. The amount is relatively low now, but will grow quickly at he default rate of interest on the card.

You should set up some kind of payment plan or see if a friend or family member can help you out with the debt. If you do not take care of this, it will ruin your credit, you will spend a fortune on interest and penalties, and you will probably get sued.

I am only licensed in WA State. This is only my general observation about the law and my experiences as a practicing attorney. This is not legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice. This does not create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship, then you should directly contact a lawyer licensed in your state who you believe possesses the knowledge and experience to assist you with your case.


No credit card company that I know of allows you to defer payments while you are in school. If you default they will try to collect or later sue on the defaulted debt.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.