Can I date a 16 year old girl?
2 attorney answers
Unless you are a teacher (or "other person in a position of authority", see State v. Johnson, Docket No: 118,380 [June 21, 2019], available on the web at: http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/Opinions/CtApp/2019/20190621/20190621.htm click on 118380) or other person prohibited by K.S.A. 21-5512 (available on the web at: http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2019_20/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_055_0000_article/021_055_0012_section/021_055_0012_k/) in Kansas the age of consent for sex is 16 (see K.S.A. 21-5506, available on the web at: http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2019_20/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_055_0000_article/021_055_0006_section/021_055_0006_k/).
If the parents get mad at you, they can make trouble.
● Dating: There is no state in the US with laws against dating. There are laws about touching and sex. What is involved in your "dating"? And what do the parents think about it? If sexual contact is involved in the dating relationship, the ages and age difference of the couple, the nature of the sexual contact, whether it was consensual or not, when it took place, and the state in which it took place would be important to know. Each particular state may or may not have specific laws that apply to the conduct. A parent CANNOT legally authorize sex with their underage child. If they do, they can go to prison as well as the child raper.
● Majority: A person becomes an adult at 18, the age of majority in most states. Exceptions are Alabama & Nebraska (19), and District of Columbia & Mississippi (21). Until then they are a minor (child), and their parents pretty much control their life, including whom they date. If the parents wish, they can report it to the police if someone interferes with their control. After reaching the age of majority, the new adult can date anyone, leave home against their parent's wishes, live where they want, associate with anybody they wish, pay their own bills and bail themselves out of jail.
● Sex and Dating a Minor: Dating a minor UNDER the age of consent -- without sexual contact -- is not illegal as long as the minor's parents/guardians are OK with it. Some state's laws allow minors who have reached the age of consent (16, 17, or 18 depending on which state) to legally engage in consensual sexual intercourse/contact with anyone the same age or older. And Romeo&Juliet exceptions might also apply. So dating -- with or without sexual contact -- a minor who is AT or OVER the age of consent is not illegal as long as the parents or guardians are OK with it. In either case, If they are not good with it, they could file police reports that result in charges of "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor", "Interference with Parental Control" or something else (even Kidnapping) that might be appropriate in that particular state. They can also get a No Contact/Restraining Order/Order of Protection against the person. For example, In Mississippi, the age of consent is 16, but the age of majority is 21. A 20-year-old minor can legally consent to sexual contact. So with their parents' permission, it is perfectly alright. If the parents don't agree, they should wait until they are 21 to keep their lover out of trouble.
● The Top Ten crimes that an adult who has a "relationship" with a child MIGHT be charged with:
10. Interference with the Custody and Control of a Parent (Misdemeanor)
9. Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor (Misdemeanor)
8. Lewd or Lascivious Conduct or Communication with a minor for immoral purposes (Misdemeanor)
7. Providing Alcohol to a Minor (Misdemeanor)
6. "Grooming" a Child (Felony)
5. Sexting and/or Solicitation of a Minor (Felony)
4. Possession, Production, and Distribution of Child Pornography (Felony)
3. Loitering, Conspiracy to Loiter, and Mopery (Misdemeanor or Felony)
2. Kidnapping and/or a violation of the Mann Act (Felony)
1. Rape and/or Sexual Abuse and/or Molestation of a Child (Felony)
● Notes to the older person: Children often have "Romantic Fantasies" that they tell their friends or write down.
Children often seek revenge when the adult drops them for another sex target.
● Other Notes This is not a complete list of ALL possible ways the adult can get in trouble/jail/prison.
Different states may call these crimes by different names. Some states might not convict an adult who boinks a child if a "Romeo & Juliet" exception exists.
Pissed-off parents can make your life miserable.
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME with followup questions. Instead, you may make a comment below, which will be sent to me automatically. If you need an attorney to assist you, please search in your local area, or click the "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of the page. I am active on AVVO and answer questions only as a public service. I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.