Skip to main content

Can i cross the border checkpoint with a work permit?

Houston, TX |

am at Houston right now and mi trying to visit dam . in Laredo taxes , but i haven't got my drivers license just the paper they give you at the fps .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You may cross the border to leave the USA but you may not be allowed back in.


What legal status do you have? Bring extra proof of your immigration status besides just your work permit. For example, if you were given deferred action, have a copy of that approval notice with you as further evidence of your lawful presence here.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


We really need more information. to be able to answer your question.


If you mean a road checkpoint between the states, yes. Going to Mexico with it would make it hard later on when you decide to return

Site: email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


More information is needed.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


I would also caution against driving in the United States without a valid driver's license.


I would highly caution using simply an employment authorization document to enter the US or through a checkpoint. As my colleague Ms. Jacobson pointed out, you need the actual approval letter if any of the status that you have. If it was deferred action, you should apply and have approved advance parole before leaving the US, and even then there could be risks since technically deferred action is not an immigration status. I highly advise that you seek a competent and knowledgable immigration attorney to assist you if you have further questions. Some ways to look for a potential knowledgeable immigration attorney are to look at their experience, CV, affiliations and AVVO profile. If you would like my assistance, I'd be happy to speak with you. Best of luck.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent immigration attorney.