Skip to main content

Can i convert my l2 EAD to l1 and travel during the conversion?

San Jose, CA |

My husband is on l1b visa working for employerA and now his l1-h1 COS is approved from employer-B which is effective from oct1st.I am on l2 EAD working for a company.I would like to continue to work.

I have few questions

1. Can my employer file for change of status from l2 EAD to L1 while my husband's l1-h1COS is approved?I have worked for the same employer for 1 year in last 3 years.
2. How much time does it take to change the status?
3. With my husband's l1-h1 COS approval and my l2-l1 conversion in progress, can we travel outside US and re-enter on l2 EAD and my husband on l1 status before oct1st.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your questions are too case specific to expect an answer in this forum. Locate an attorney in your area - or anywhere because immigration practice is federal - and get a full consultation OR contact the immigration attorney from Employer B and ask him/her.


It is never wise to travel while paperwork is pending.

Talk to the immigration attorney working for the most recent company. Do NOT talk to a non-attorney in HR.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Your narrow questions to the pending intertwined immigration issues suggest only one assumption:
You are trying to substitute a retention of one good immigration attorney for all of your underlined issues with a how to do imperfect substitute from a number of random counsels on line.
This will not ever work.
Your issues require a full in person review of all your filings, submissions, documents and facilitated correspondence by one knowledgeable immigration attorney.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


If you worked for them for 1 year outside the US, you will qualify.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.