Skip to main content

Can I come back to the US if I owe child support, I do have a "green card"

Sonoma, CA |

I left to Mexico about 12 years ago owing child support. My green card has expired and I am interested in rewing my green card and paying back all of the child support that I owe. Will I be arrested if I try renewing my green card? Can I start making payments to child support? I don't have a clue how to start this process. Can someone give me some advise?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The only way you could be placed in jail for non-payment of the child support is if you have been found to be in contempt of court. Therefore, I would suggest that you hire an attorney to review the court file(s) to see if any such order has ever been made.

When you say you are interested in paying back all the child support you owe, you should be aware that you owe the child support and 10% interest on the unpaid support. The interest is calculated on each particular support payment when originally due. Therefore, the balance could very well be much greater than you think.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer