Skip to main content

Can i collect child support if the dad won a wrongful death suit.

Buffalo, NY |

I have custody of my grandson,his dad is in prison,he has never paid child support ,recently he was awarded 20,000 from a wrongful death suit,how can my grandson get his child support

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You would need an order of child support before you attempt to collect anything from the Father. If you do not have an order of child support you should file for one immediately.

Legal disclaimer: This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The post is only an opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. I try and answer questions in terms that the readers will understand. The poster is licensed only in NY, CT & NJ. You can reach me at If this post is useful to you, please remember to upvote it. less


I suggest you immediately contact a family law attorney who can assist you in placing a lien on the wrongful death recovery and aid you in collecting the overdue support payments. Do not delay, as this person may attempt to secrete or spend the funds before you get at them.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


You should get a family law attorney from Avvo, if you don't have one, to handle ASAP.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.