Skip to main content

Can I collect child support for the past two years my minor daughter has lived with me even though there was no court order?

Whittier, CA |

My daughter has lived with me 95% of the time for the past two years and I have not asked for child support nor have I pursued a court order as of yet. My ex wife earns over $10,000 per month.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, the answer is no. Child support is only retroactive to the date you file your motion to establish support. You can hire an attorney to help you with this, see the family law facilitator (FLF) at your local court, or contact your local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS). DCSS provides services free of charge, but may take a little longer than hiring an attorney or doing it yourself or with the help of the FLF.


In the absence of a court order, your ex wife has no legal obligation to pay you child support. If you pursue a court order at this point, it will be retroactive to the date of filing of that request (aka Request for Order FL-300).


No, get an attorney and get an Order

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 39 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site.