Skip to main content

Can I changed from OPT to CPT without work interruption?

Albany, NY |

I am have been in US legally since i was 16. Now i am 24 and recent graduated with a bachelor degree in finance. I am working on OPT but my OPT will expire in September 2013. I got my job late so my company was not able to file for my H1B on time. now i am trying to get a new I-20 and Apply for CPT so i can keep my status and working for the same company. I know my OPT will be terminated when my F1 visa is transferred to a new school. and it will take a month until i get a CPT. would i be able to work during that gap ? what other options would you recommend?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I recommend you stick to the course you have selected. It Sounds pretty sound to me. Permission to work is tricky. Theoretically once OPT is over, toy cannot work

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I do not recommend you working during the gap.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: