Skip to main content

Can I change the Rep Payee for my child's social security?

Miami, FL |

My ex applied for Social Security for our daughter. She is now the rep payee for her, however, she does not pay any of the child's medical expenses related to the "disability" and I also pay support to her, I do not know if that matters. Since I am the one that pays for the medical expenses related to our daughters "disability" I would like to know if I would be able to get the rep payee changed from her mother to myself. We have shared 50/50 custody.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Social Security has formal policies for the appointment and replacement of a rep. payee. There is a sensible preference for the adult with whom the child lives, among other factors. If you are required to pay support to the mother by state court order, that could be an important factor in the SSA decision.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


You can apply to ssa and give them all the information to support your case.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.


It can be done but you will have to go through some fairly minor red tape with the social security administration. Go to and use their search function.


Paula Sinclair always does a great job answering these questions. The only thing I would add is a sort of macro understanding of factors. We now live in a world where all factors are considered. Pretty much anything is a factor, whether it's race, sex, money, jobs, yada yada. All of these factors fall under the "best interest of the child" standard for most child based adjudications Nevertheless, the SSA has additional standards that you will get to go through. The whole point here is to write down these factors when you can think of them, and present those factors to an attorney. The attorney will be able to figure out what will help and hurt your case. Like Mrs. Sinclair stated, when you are paying the medical expenses, when those funds are to be used in part for said medical expenses…this may create a "factor." Think of factors as bricks in a wall for your case-

Attorney: Walter Rudolph Hnot, III MBA, JD, MM32 Supreme Court Certified County Court Mediator Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Supreme Court Certified Appellate Mediator Blue Lodge | Bahia Shrine | Scottish Rite Central Florida Hillel Board Member Orange County Bar Member American Bar Association Member DISCLAIMER COPYRIGHT: The following disclaimer cannot be copied or used in any manner or form without written consent from an authorized representative of the professional corporation. The following disclaimer is wholly copyrighted and serves as a notice of a “cease and desist” upon another parties further use. EXCLUSIVE USE NOTICE: This information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended only for the exclusive use of the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege or other confidentiality protections. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised you have received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly prohibited. FRAUDULENT IMPERSONATING OR MISREPRESENTATION: If you have reasonable suspicion that an email you received is not affiliated with the organization, yet appears misleading as to create the appearance of affiliation, then you hereby agree to make notice upon a historically legitimate email to the organization. NON-DISCLOSURE NOTICE: All receiving parties are hereby put on notice that all information provided by this email is confidential, and cannot be disclosed or shared without the prior approval of the sender’s supervising party. Therefore, the person in receipt of this email agrees that they will not use the information furnished for any purpose other than as stated above, and agrees that they will not either directly or indirectly by agent, employee, or representative, disclose this information, either in whole or in part, to any third party; provided however that (a) information furnished may be disclosed only to those directors, officers, and employees of the person receiving said materials who need such information for the purpose of completing a pre-agreed upon transaction (it being understood that those directors, officers, employees, advisors and representative shall be informed of the confidential nature of such information and shall be directed to treat such information confidentially), and (b) any disclosure of information may be made to which owner or associates interconnected with the following email consent in writing. A writing stating a clear intent to disclose or contract is the intended the non-preferred method of acceptance, and necessity of ease, time, and other entity protocol assimilation, contracting will be achieved through an in office signing, whether by ink or digital signature. As the receiving party of confidential information, you are liable for the safekeeping, or return and destruction of copies of said information.