Skip to main content

Can I change my status from F1 to J1?

Chicago, IL |

I am on OPT right now which expires on July,19th. Can I change my status to J1? Will I have enough time and should I leave the country?
Many thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As long as you file by July 19th, you can do it.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree. You can change status at this point.


If you have a J-1 sponsor, then a change of status can be filed. Estimated processing times are always as posted on the USCIS website.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer