Skip to main content

Can I change my social security number?

Montesano, WA |

I have moved out of my house two years ago, my parents have been using my social security number to gain personal information on me and look up my college status and a bunch of other stuff that shouldn't have access to since I am 20 years old and they shouldn't be able to access my information like that without my consent correct? I need help figuring out a way for them to gain all this information.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The Social Security Administration does have a program to give qualifying persons new Social Security Numbers. However, the troubles you described in your post may not fit the program's requirements. However, the only place that can tell you for sure is the SSA.

You can find more information about the program at or stop by your local Social Security office or call the office on the phone.

The immediate practical step likely is to notify all the offices to not release your information without the person giving a secret password that you choose. Many offices will lock an account and allow access to it only when proper credentials are given.

Similarly, the major credit bureaux have programs that will freeze a person's credit file.

If you have definite proofs that your parents are the ones accessing your files without your permission or legal authorization, you likely can file a petition with the appropriate court for an order prohibiting your parents from continuing their unlawful actions.

If your parents are paying for your college expenses, they likely will cut off the funds.



While SS does not routinely assign different Social Security numbers. ere are some circumstances where SS will assign a different number:

Sequential numbers have been assigned to members of the same family and are causing problems;

More than one person has been assigned, or is using, the same number;

An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number;

A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number; or

Situations of harassment, abuse, or life endangerment, including domestic violence, has occurred.

To apply for a new number:

Step 1: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.

Step 2: Gather documents proving:

U.S. citizenship;
Immigration status;
Age (birth certificate or U.S. passport);
Evidence of legal name change; and
Evidence to support your need for a new Social Security number.

Step 3: Take your completed application and documentation to your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.