Skip to main content

Can I change my name after bankruptcy?

New York, NY |

I've filed back in January, my case has been discharged. I never liked my name and would like to finally change it. Is this possible? I would like to drop my first name, use my middle name as my first, add a middle name and use my relatives last name instead of my current. What should I do? am I stuck with this name for the rest of my life? thanks!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can certainly apply to have your name changed after your bankruptcy. Your bankruptcy will not affect your ability to change your name. I suggest consulting with a family law attorney or a general pratice attoreny as they may deal frequently with name changes. It is a relatively simple process in Missouri, and I assume it is not much different in New York.

Advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily specific to your circumstances. You should consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, who is experienced in the field of law which pertains to your question. Questions answered on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship.


Changing your name should not affect your bankruptcy. As suggested, you can contact a family law attorney or you may even be able to get the necessary forms directly from the courthouse and do it yourself.

Good luck.


After you receive your name change, file a Change of Name/Address form with your local bankruptcy court.


Certainly. New life; new name. Sounds good tome.


Unlike my colleagues who answered, I really live and work here. Name changes in New York City are handled in the Civil Court, and are now meant to be done without a lawyer. Go to the New York State Court website, and go to the DIY forms section. Bring the forms to your local county civil court. Any questions and the clerk can help you. The biggest cost will be the ad you need to place in a local paper. The paper is chosen by the court, and like anything in the media in NYC, it is expensive. Bankruptcy has nothing to do with this issue.

Michael D. SIegel, Esq. Siegel & Siegel, P.C. One Penn Plaza Suite 2414 New York, New York 10119 212-721-5300 All information given on this site is general in nature, and not legal advice. Only a lawyer, reviewing the underlying documents and facts, in a meeting in person or over the phone, can determine what course of action any person can take. No attorney/client relationship is created by participation on this site. No attorney/client privilege attaches to any communication on this site.