Skip to main content

Can I change my last name on my social security card to my maiden name without getting a divorce ?

Spring Lake, NC |

I have my EAD card and my deferred action notice approval in my maiden name but my social security card in my married last name. I don't want to go through the whole process of applying for another EAD card because I just got this card one month ago and I don't want to pay all over again . Can I just change my last name to my maiden name on my social security and then once my two years are over can I just reapply and change my last name .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I would try. My advice is to go in person to the Social Security Office and explain the situation and see what they advise.

The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly at her office in Edison, New Jersey, and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. (732) 662-4125.


You might not even need to change anything, just carry with you the legal document that shows your change of name (presumably your marriage certificate) so whoever looks at these documents can figure out it's the same person. If your married name is in fact your current legal name, then you should not try to change it back to your maiden name on your social security card, as such is not an accurate action, without a legal change of name. Once your 2 years are up and you need to renew your EAD, then just apply for renewal under your legal (married) name. I am assuming here that there is a reason the EAD is under one name and the SS card under a different one - is it because you got married in between? If not, you might have to change the EAD.

Contact: 860-548-2629 or This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.



NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Contact the Social Security office in person bringing evidence of your name, they may assist you.


Robert Brown LLC
2330 Meridian Parkway, Suite 3050
Durham, NC 27713


Social Security will issue the card under your legal name. If you legally changed your name when you married, then you can go to court and have your name changed back *without* divorcing your husband. The cost and time involved in a name change vary widely from place to place, so call your county courthouse to check.

However, you will probably be fine with the different names for now as long as you show employer some evidence that you changed your name at marriage to explain the discrepancy. Then when it comes time to renew your EAD again, you can ask them to issue it in the married name.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.