Can I change my guilty plea to not guilty before sentencing? Also Hire a new attorney

Overland Park, KS |

I need to know if i can change my guilty plea to not guilty before sentencing and hire a new attorney.

get a new lawyer in KS. in most places you can withdraw your plea for good cause. doonot wait another day

Is wanting new representation sufficent cause?

The previous answer is quite correct. You must move on this immediately. Once you are sentenced the process of withdrawing your guilty plea becomes much more difficult. It is not necessarily easy now, requiring a showing of "good cause," but will require a showing of "manifest injustice" after sentencing. "Manifest injustice" is a very hard standard to meet. You should contact someone in Johnson County as soon as possible to inquire about withdrawing your guilty plea.

What are a few examples of good cause?

Patrick Michael Lewis

Patrick Michael Lewis

Good cause could mean many different things. If a person were ill, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the plea for example. Other examples could include a miscommunication between attorney and client, a misunderstanding as to legal rights or the options a defendant has. The judge's questioning at the time of the plea are intended to avoid these problems but sometimes judges make mistakes too.