Skip to main content

Can I change j1 to f1 visa without finishing the program for j1?

Rockville Centre, NY |

I am an aupair with J1 visa and this is my second year. I extended my program in March 2012 so visa is valid tilll March 2013. However I would like to apply to school now and change my status from J1 to F1. Is it possible since I will leave the program without finishing it? I talked to one school but they told me I need a letter from agency saying that I finished the program. Of course I cant get this letter as I havent finished it. So, I hope that maybe its still possible to do it without the letter or I will have to wait till March 2013? My visa doesnt have 2 years restriction.

Thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are under the 'control' of your J program sponsor.

You should talk to an attorney to make sure that you don't 'blow' it.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

FIRST 15 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient:

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International boundaries. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or - If you are low income go here: or

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.