Skip to main content

Can I change attorneys while in the process of filing for my husband?

Dallas, TX |

We hired an attorney to assist him in filing for a green card. We have paid them in full and have given them the money order for the I-485 application. They have had this money order to be sent to USCIS since March 2013. I've made several attempts to contact the attorney via phone and email and have difficulty receiving a response. And when I do receive a response, I feel like I'm bothering them. Please someone help can I get any money back for their services?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You can change attorneys, and can ask for a partial refund.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Of course you can and ask for a refund of the unused portion of the fees paid.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes you can change lawyers and try to get a refund of work not done. Your calls should not bother him!!! You paid him.


LORIC, Immigration Solutions

(Free Initial Consultation)

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 650-279-5933

The response given is general in nature and does not create an attorney / client relationship. The answer given may also not account for other facts unknown to the attorney. For a more detailed evaluation you should consult with a licensed immigration attorney.



This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.




People should know that they can always "fire" their attorney. While it may not seem that way sometimes, the client is in charge. You own your case and your documents. You have a right to take your file and walk. A refund is a more difficult issue. You can ask for it and you can complain for it and you can complain about an attorney. Like any area of life, it is up to you and how you feel about it.


I agree with all of the response. Also, it is very important to note that the file is your property so do not let the attorney tell you that you cannot have a copy of it.