Skip to main content

Can I challenge the court appointed counselor findings based on inaccurate and lies given to her by ex husband that were mislead

Phoenix, AZ |

Ex husband lied about not having any arrest or criminal record when asked

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should probably submit documentation to the court-appointed counselor or to the court directly showing that your ex has a criminal record. You can also cross-examine the counselor at trial and ask her about inconsistencies or omissions in her report.

This post is general information about divorce and family law in Arizona, and is not legal advice. Divorce is a complex process, and taking legal action without the one-on-one professional advice of a lawyer can produce unexpected results.


You definitely want to bring this information to the court and the counselor's attention. Be sure you have the documentation to support this information, so it's not a "he said, she said" situation.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


If he misled the counselor or withheld information and you can prove it, then first bring it to the attention of the counselor. You'll also want to present the information to the court at the final hearing. Of course, I am assuming that the criminal history is relevant. If he lied about having traffic tickets or a shoplifting charge twenty years ago, then everyone will just think you are being petty because that would be completely irrelevant to anything that the court is considering (assuming we aren't talking about 5 speeding tickets within the last year or something that would place children at danger when in his care).

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.