Skip to main content

Can I cancel my name change during oath ceremony?

Flushing, NY |

I had my naturalization interview today and passed. My oath ceremony is scheduled for next week Tuesday. However, I do not wish to have my name changed anymore because of travel issues. I told my officer today that I didn't want to change it, but she was kind of in a bad mood and said it didn't matter when I travel, all I had to do was show the document that I changed my name. However, I would feel more assured if I did not change my name. Is it possible that during my oath ceremony, I have my old name even though during interview I said I did and signed it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I don't think you can since the certificate is already issued at that point. What you would need to do is get your name changed through your state. Of course, this will take time and cost you more money. Good luck.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.


If your Oath of Allegiance is at a naturalization ceremony before a judge, you can make this request before the judge. The judge may or may not grant your request.

If your swearing in ceremony is not before a judge, you will have to have your name changed through the prescribed method of your state.


Ask the official at the ceremony again and request cancellation of the name change. They may be able to reschedule your ceremony and have a new certificate for you.


My firm does legal name change as well as immigration. If they will not process the name change, give us a call and we will be happy to handle.

This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer