Skip to main content

Can i call my attorney an tell him i no longer need him?

Toledo, OH |

I seen a laywer yesterday because i was in a automobile accident and i acted to quickly an signed paperwork releasing medical files and intitling him to 33% but i no lomger want a attorney i want to handle it by myself

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Yes - However, I suggest you immediately schedule a face to face meeting with the attorney to discuss you plans & any concerns. It is a bad idea to handle a personal injury claim with the assistance of counsel - you will be at the mercy of claims adjusters & this is NOT a good place to be.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner





For informational purposes only; not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice or a legal opinion.


You can, but it is probably a very bad idea. You will likely never get near fair value for your claim without an attorney.


Sure; you may discharge the lawyer. Just remember, the person who has him/herself as a client usually has a fool for a client. Don't meant to offend.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Certainly you can discharge your attorney. You will owe him for any costs that he has expended on your behalf at the time you discharge him and he may also be entitled to some compensation for time he may have spent meeting with you, preparing the case file and sending out letters etc.

Why do you feel you do not need an attorney? If you needed brain surgery, would you do it at home yourself in your kitchen, with a mirror and a steak knife or would you hire a brain surgeon? The same applies to a legal case.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Well i dont really feel i dont need an attorney .my issue is that when the accident happened there where to passengers in my vehicle and i feel like there playin hurt just to get money ..and we all have the same attorney.ifeel likevi should get a different one ..because im the one who really took a loss no vehicle .in the impact was all on my side ...i just think it would b wise for me to have my own attorney!

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen


You have now provided more relevant info. Your attorney has a potential conflict between all 3 people in your car, particularly if there is limited coverage. You may want to speak with another PI attorney to advise you.


Yes, but you should do it by letter if not in person. You are netitled to your file. You may be responsible for some fees and expenses.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal problems and solutions depend on their unique facts. Due to the complexity and ever-changing nature of the law and to the limitations of this forum, this information may not be complete or adequate for your specific situation. Laws and regulations often differ from one jurisdiction to another. Mark E. Barbour practices in the State of Ohio.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer