Skip to main content

Can I buy a house?

Columbia, MD |

I want to buy a house. I am seperated from my husband but we have no legal seperation agreement written yet. We have been seperated since December 2007. We both have lawyers and he has written a seperation agreement but he was deployed before we could work it out to what both of us wanted. I want to buy a house but am afraid that I will have to split it with him when we do get a divorce. HELP

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


While the court can take into consideration the whether assets were acquired before or after separation, a new house is marital property if purchased during the marriage. You can, however, have a partial property settlement with respect to the new house that would make it your sole and separate property in a divorce.