Skip to main content

Can I build a gas station in a R3 zoning ?

Greenwich, CT |

the place where I want to build a gas station is R3, in the same area there is a restaurant, stores, pathmark, homedepot, bmw, donkin donuts, and a gas station.
I was told by the building department that to build a gas station I need to be in the C4 zoning, how come there is all this stores and a gas station in the R3 zoning?
please if some body can help me or tell me there is a way to get approved by the board or I need to hire an attorney.
any information will be helpful.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The table of allowable uses in each zoning classification "is what it is". Usually, commercial and industrial zones are "less" or "more" intensive, allowing for certain commercial uses but not others. If the R3 zone doesn't provide for gas stations, you either need a rezoning of that area to C4, a change in the table of uses allowing gas station in all R3 zones, or a use variance.

A lawyer will probably tell you that any of those potential approvals are equally very difficult approvals to get. The fact that the local legislative body considers dunlin donuts a less intensive use than a gas station is rational. Also, some of the uses you consider as intensive as a gas station may be prior non-conforming uses, in other words, built before the current zoning restrictions.

The reasons gas stations are considered intensive is related to traffic generation and possible pollution from underground storage tanks, as well as the risk of fire and explosion.

Hiring an attorney to get this approval is going to be a waste of money or cost a lot. Hiring a lawyer to explain to you how zoning approvals work and spending a couple hundred dollars for an hour or two of his time is worth it if you are really that curious.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of other attorneys on are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. I can only answer your question based on the brief statement of facts you present in your question which may omit other relevant facts which would be disclosed in an in-person interview. While I attempt to provide reasonable care in answering your questions in an online forum which encourages attorneys to provide brief "off the cuff" responses within several hours of the posting of a question, I cannot perform any further detailed legal research concerning possibly relevant statutory or case law which might apply to your situation that I would normally do in the course of my representation of clients where an attorney-client relationship exists (and you are paying for my services!). You should therefore not rely solely upon legal information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1, available online at ) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".



Thank you Mr. Lebowitz.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier


Well said


R3 is residential zoning.
Are the Home Depot and other commercial properties also zoned R3? If you own the property already, it may be worth your time to determine if these establishments have obtained variances to build commercial in a residential zone.
If you don't own the property, consider finding a parcel that meets the C4 requirement. Getting a variance is costly and time consuming.


I agree with Jack Lebowitz and Timothy Kassouni. I recommend you hire an attorney to consult with respect to the internal workings of how to convert the zoning classification, or if you do not own the property to look for a property that already fits the classification you need. Path of least resistance.

These materials have been prepared by the Law Offices of Heath D. Harte, LLC for informational purposes only and are not intended, and should not be construed as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Likewise, any submission or receipt of information using this online communication, does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon any of the information provided without seeking professional counsel.