Skip to main content

Can I become a lawyer if I completed sis probation for a class c felony ?

Saint Peters, MO |

I plead guilty at 17 for car hopping and received sis probation for 5 years on a class c felony. I completed the probation and have been in no trouble sense. I have a 4 year old daughter now and am attending college. Is this mistake I made in my past going to stop me from becoming a lawyer ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The bar association of every state does an ethics review of your history before you become a member. The important thing to remember is to answer all questions about your past fully and truthfully. I doubt a juvenile record would prevent your entry but trying to cover it up would. You may want to talk to a MO bar ethics attorney before investing a lot of time and money in a legal education.


I will answer this question based on knowing two very good lawyers in Missouri who have "criminal records." Bot are great success stories. One received an SIS on a Class B Felony. The other actually completed a Missouri Department of Corrections sentence on a Class A Felony. Both were admitted to law school and accepted into the Missouri bar after receiving their "criminal records." Do not let your past deter you. Just make sure it never happens again, and work hard for your future. Good luck!

Matthew D. Fry Rosenblum, Schwartz, Rogers & Glass, P.C. (314) 862-4332 Please feel free to contact me with any questions. The legal information provided is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney. In no way does the information establish an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the other 2 lawyers: don't lie about it, and make sure you contact the Missouri Bar Association and talk to the ethics counsel (the attorney who answers lawyers' questions about ethical dilemmas) before you apply to any law schools.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.


As long as you are completely honest on your bar application, you should be alright. If you lie or conceal it, it will be found when they do a fingerprint analysis for admission. During law school, two people were not permitted to sit for the Bar for not being truthful.


It deppends upon the Supreme Court


You should be fine. However, you are going to get a lot of extra scrutiny for the background/ethics check. You are going to fill out a lot of paperwork on that issue also. Just a suggestion, obtain copies of your plea/sentencing paperwork and the police report if you still can. The courthouse should still have your court papers. Your attorney "hopefully" still has a copy of the police report, or you coudl go to the police department and request it. You are definitely going to need those so just keep them in a safe place. Make sure you don't lie about anything and just be up front about it. Prior to taking the LSAT, applying to law school, etc. (because all of that really starts to cost a lot of money) I would make an appointment with your local law school's career services department and see if they would talk to you. I assume they would since your questions seems sincere and you are a potential future student and tuition for them. They could hopefully show you some data on how many people that has affected to give you a better idea.

Anthony Muhlenkamp - 314-725-7777;, Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law, P.C. Feel free to call or email me for a free consultation. However, please be advised that answering questions on this webpage is done to provide general information only and that by responding to a question we have not established an attorney client relationship. In order to establish such a relationship we would need to meet in person and go over more details of your case. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer