Skip to main content

Can I beat a ticket issued for running a stop sigh on a a bicycle? the actual charges are fail to yield right of way.

Denton, TX |

and bicycle or motor bike no/defective light front. is that even a running a stop sighn charge???? please help thanks.

+ Read More

Filed under: DUI Traffic tickets
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am sorry but this is another urban myth that has been busted!

With the rise in gasoline prices more and more people in urban and suburban areas are turning towards the use of bicycles to travel. However other than the rules concerning a motor vehicle, when it comes to the "rules of the road," a bicycle and its operator ate treated in the EXACT SAME MANNER as the driver of an automobile. That means that at a controlled intersection (stoplight, stop sign, flashing light, etc.) the bicyclist in the road is supposed to act just like a motorcyclist or the driver of a big rig truck.

My advice is to either contact an experienced traffic ticket defense attorney in your area or contact the court to apply to take driver safety course for a dismissal if you are eligible.

Good luck,
Martin Zimmerman

Martin Zimmerman, P.C. 189 E. San Antonio St. P.O. Box 310704 New Braunfels, Texas 78131-0704 Tel: (830) 606-7886 Fax: (830) 627-2890 The information contained in and transmitted with this e-mail is: 1) Subject to the Attorney-Client Privilege; 2) Attorney Work Product; or 3) Confidential It is intended only for the individual or entity designated above. Any distribution, copying, use of, or reliance upon the information contained in and transmitted with this facsimile by or to anyone other than the recipient designated above by the sender is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Martin Zimmerman, P.C. by telephone


In Florida bicycles have to follow the same statutes as motor vehicles, including dui.


As other attorneys said, yes it is a charge (the citation should say the penal code section). Can you beat ticket? It's always possible. Call local traffic attorneys and see what they say. Experienced traffic attorneys have options: can always set case for trial, speak with prosecutor, hope officer doesn't appear etc. But may be easier to take deferred. Good Luck.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer