Skip to main content

Can i be sued if someone else was driving a car that has my name on the registration?

California |

i give my sister my old car as a gift for her birthday but never got arounf to remove my name from the registration, she got into a bad car accident and several people were injured and the cost is over what her insurance will cover, can i be sued to pay the difference?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As the registered owner of the vehicle you have liabiity for up to $15,000 for death or injury to one person and $30,000 for death or injury to multiple persons, and $5,000 for damage to property. There is an online form to release future liability on your part for the car. Go to

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


It's unlikely you'll be sued, since you are only responsible for the basic coverage amounts of 15/30 for liability and 5K for property damage and since your sister had insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer