Skip to main content

Can I be sued for slander for having an opinion on a husband that is abused by her husband?

Las Vegas, NV |

The wife came to the house sobbing while 3 sets of families were having a dinner get together according to the wife she was physically abused by her husband. Strangling and arguing. Seeing her situation she is the provider for the family, the husband has menial jobs and he abuses her physically which left a very bad impression of the husband. We had a baptism for my daughter invited the wife and daughter party came out good. We attended her party which we didnt want to go due to husband's abusive behavior. Our common friend wanted us to go to the party with them since her husband was the one who brought the abused wife back to her house, and had a confrontation. Some of my family asked if we wanted to go, i gave my opinion now the wife that helped wants to sue us for slander.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Defamation requires a false statement of fact, not opinion.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


This is not the stuff of a viable civil lawsuit. Get family counseling, or change your circumstances.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


I agree with Ms. McCall. There is no civil violations of any kind. In other words, there is no legal injury for which any party can claim legal damages. This is just everyday stuff. The wife may have legal claims against an abusive husband but if she chose to ignore it, nothing else can be done.

Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation. However, more fact may be required by your local attorney. If you are in Las Vegas, you are welcome to send your questions regarding Chapter 7, or 13 to Attorney Malik Ahmad at or or by calling (702) 270-9100. In many cases, we do not charge initial consultation fee.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer