Skip to main content

Can I be reinstated my child support?

De Kalb, MO |

I am a full - time dependent student and I still live with my mother . When I turned 18 , they continued to send me child support for a few months , but stopped it around September 2012 . I was not a student then ( in fact I had just gotten my GED certificate a few months before that ) , but I am - I started in January 2013 - now . I wrote them a letter asking for reinstatement , but they rejected me due to the fact I had a " gap " in my education because I didn't enroll in fall semester . Is this even legal for them to do that ? I really need help financially !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should consult a local attorney - but at age 18 your rights change.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Generally, in your state the child support obligation ends when the child reaches 18 years of age or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. I believe a GED counts as graduating from high school, and now you are 18, too, so I don't think child support will resume unless there was a private agreement to extend it beyond the minimum statutory requirement. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer