Skip to main content

Can I be held responsible for a check I didn't write? The check bounced.

Hendersonville, NC |

My BF's daughter wrote a check to a dealership in Ohio for repairs on my acct(it's an estate acct for my Mom, I'm the administrator) and now after doing some research I find I could be held responsible for this check even though I didn't write it? There wasn't enough money i nthe acct to cover the check. I've filed a police report and when I get to the bank location(I live about 8 hrs away from where the estate is being probated) I will file an affidavit if the banks allows it.
What can I do and can I be held responsible for this check even though I didn't write it? The check was for 1500 dollars. Thank you for advice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The best thing to do is to call your bank, almost every bank has a fraud division. Tell them you filed the police report (give them a copy if they want it) and that you never authorized that check. See what they say.

If that doesn't work then consult with a debt collection or civil litigation attorney, they would be the best bet for knowing more about that particular issue.

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advise, they are given based on the information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advise. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advise from an attorney and is urged to do so. If the Questioner wants to hire this Attorney for their case they must first contact his law office by emailing him at to setup a consultation. After a full discussion of the facts Corby and Ingalls, Attorneys at Law, PLLC can decided whether or not to accept the case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer