Skip to main content

Can i be fired for stressing to much at work.

Columbus, GA |

i've work in my current position at my job for about 6 months and it has been hell. My leads yell at me for not doing what they want me to do but i'm doing what i was hired to do. they are always jumping on my case about somthing whether it's my fault or not my fellow coworkers have pulled me to the side and have told me what they are doing is not fair my boss and i have a bad relationship outside work so whenever he's around he just puts me on edge and the past few weeks i've had chest pains head aches i can't sleep and i just feel really depressed and i just don't know what to do i've put in days off and was denied by my boss because "we had new people coming in" they didnt . and someone took off the next week when they did show up and it just feels like everyones out to get me ..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Sounds like an unhealthy place to work, and it sounds like you should be looking for someplace else to work, if you haven't already. The sad reality in Georgia is, that you can be fired for any reason, good or bad, or none for that matter, so long as the motivating reason for terminating you is not discriminatory. Do not put your health at risk by continuing to work there. Take off whatever time you need to get well, and when you do, begin your new job search with vigor. If voluntarily leaving this job is not an option, get yourself to a doctor immediately and tell him/her what is going on at work.

Dean R. Fuchs

This post is for marketing and informational purposes only. It is not intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with the reader.


In an "at-will" employment state like Georgia (and every other state), either the employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship with or without cause at any time. Unless you have a written employment agreement that requires notices or a process based on cause to fire you; have rights arising under a union contract in which you are a member; or have been discharged for some unlawful reason (age, race, gender, disability discrimination), the answer to your question is "yes." The employer here could fire you because he doesn't like the way you part your hair and you'd have no actionable recourse.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.