Skip to main content

Can I be extradited from brazil for violating probation in the USA?

Raleigh, NC |

My probation expires in 10 days. My probation officer told me at my last meeting that he was done with me and would not have to see me anymore. Hearing this I flew to brazil thinking I was done with my probation. Today he called to notify me that he forgot to have me sign paperwork to terminate my probation. He wants me to come in immediately to sign but I am out of the country. What is the worst that could happen to me? I plan on getting married In brazil and living here permanently.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hire an attorney right now and see if the attorney can fax or email you the documentation for you to sign and get it back to probation. It may save you the cost of a ticket. Stay in contact with your probation officer telling him/her what you are trying to do.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.


I believe Brazil does have an extradition treaty with the U.S., so in theory the answer is yes, you could be extradited. The chances of you being extradited are really low, however, given the cost to the government and the kind of crime - DWI. If this were a homicide, then you might be extradited. People are rarely extradited across state lines for DWIs in this country, and almost never across international borders.

However, you do need to resolve this because the Probation Officer may file a violation report listing you as an absconder. That means that when you do return to North Carolina, you could potentially serve the whole suspended sentence on the DWI even though you were just 10 days away from being off probation.

<a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or attorney in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer