Skip to main content

Can I be charged with damage to a drug dealers property?

Fairfield, IL |

A friend was attempting to buy drugs. Dealer was going to rob them. They fought and a car and hair straighter were damaged. I was outside and witnesses told police that so the State charged me with 2 counts criminal damage and mob action. Besides the fact that I actually did touch anyone or anything- can I be charged and/ or convicted of cdtp if the owner of the property was engaging in illegal activities involving a controlled substance? And if there is a statute or common law case that is directed toward this please.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to seek the counsel of a criminal defense attorney immediately. Understand that any one can be charged with any thing at any time, but the state must prove its case in order for you to be convicted. After any contact with the police, people immediately jump to conviction. It is possible that there was no probable cause to arrest or charge you at all and the charges against you may be dismissed, but this is not something you can do or handle on your own.
As to your other questions, statutes and case law are things that a lawyer can help you with and without all the details of your matter (which you SHOULD NOT post on here, or anywhere else) its hard to provide you with concrete answers to your questions. Most attorney's, including me, will provide you with a free consultation to assess your matter. Please take advantage of this as soon as possible. No person should deal with the police or a criminal matter on their own whenever that can be avoided.
Good luck


It is not a defense to CDTP they the property allegedly damaged was owned by a "drug dealer". Other defenses may be available to the CDTP and the mob action charges.

Consult an experienced criminal defense lawyer to explore and develop defense theories.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: 24/7 --(708) 481-4800.


Yes, one may be legally charged to criminal damage to the property of another. As to the determination of any perceived illegal activities by anyone, that is done in the court of law under proper criminal standards, rule or evidence and admissible testimony, not by outlandish or personal reflections by anyone.
If you personally are charged with a crime, no matter how unjust or erroneous you may perceive that charge to be, it is prudent to retain a criminal defense attorney.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer