Skip to main content

Can I be barred from the US for lying on a visa application?

New York, NY |

My non-immigrant work permit was approved by change of status in the US. I went to the foreign consulate to get the stamp placed in my passport and was denied. I made a huge mistake, I mistakenly took my original job offer with me, and not the letter saying i was currently employed. I had the softcopy of the letter from my boss on my computer, but no signature, so I copied his signature from a scan of another document. I talked to my boss, and he was cool about it, but he said the consulate already called him. He told them I was employed, but he sounded like the letter was a surprise and he wasnt sure he handled it well.

1. Could that cause me to be barred from ever getting a visa again?
2. Would it come up on my immigrant file in the consulates system during future visa applications?

How can i know if there is fraud on my file? Would they have informed me when I was denied?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that. As to the answer to a general question in the title of your post, yes, absolutely.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes, there is a permanent bar for fraud. After a while, you may qualify for a waiver.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


The government takes fraud very seriously.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer