Skip to main content

Can I avoid jail time for 2 counts of false accounting and Fraud and tax evasion. If not what kind of sentence can i expect

Malibu, CA |

I run my own business , we have an annual turnover of about 1.5 million a year .

The IRS have charged me with the following /
- False accounting : I faked a letter saying that an investor had invested in the company and they had not . This was done in order to get another investor to invest in the company , which they did .As a result the investor made a loss of $60,000.
- False accounting : I changed the accounts to show we had a certain amount of money when we did not again in order to get someone to invest in the company ,
- Fraud. I moved money from my personal account in to the business account in order to show we had a certain amount of money in order to claim an incentive.
- Tax evasion. I have moved some money to other accounts in o

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Definitely go silent and hire and attorney - what are you waiting for?


You have a right to be free from self incrimination. Do not waive that right without fully knowing and understanding what is going on.

I really urge that you do not post any details online because of potential self incrimination problems for you. Get a criminal defense lawyer on your side. Your lawyer will tell you not to speak to the police. If you confess to a crime you did not commit (trust me, it happens), you will be charged.

Everyone has a freedom against self-incrimination but an online site like this one is not private. What you post here may be used against you. No one can say what the evidence is against you so at least remain silent and do not incriminate yourself without speaking to a lawyer.

Read my Legal Guide "Internet Privacy - Not!" if you think it might be helpful. The half dozen that have read it have found it helpful.

You need a lawyer so get one. ASAP!

Read my Legal Guide "What is the Right to Remain Silent?

Because this matter is so important you should really get a lawyer. Many factors such as age, prosecutor discretion, what judge you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say whether charges will arise or what type of time you'll do for this crime.

You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in your state in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


You have another problem. You have admitted in a public forum that you have engaged in some troublesome activities. My colleagues have offered very good advice. Retain counsel immediately. The attorney-client priviledge will give your communications with your attorney a protected status. Discuss the case with no one other than your attorney.

Please keep in mind that there are many variables that could be applied to the brief facts you have given. The information offered here is general in nature and is not a legal opinion nor is it specific tax advice.