Skip to main content

Can I avoid deportation by being stateless? Can a lawyer help my case?

Atlanta, GA |

I married a us citizen in 2008 back in my country, came to USA in 2010 and realized that he's not who he said he was, and we couldn't get along at all , I suffered so much emotional and physical abuse in his hand but never went to the police or any evidence to show for it, when I filed I 751 in 2012, I asked for a waiver as an abused spouse, extreme hardship. Now I went for my interview and the immigration officer told me that I don't have enough evidence to support my claim of abuse. Well she stamped my passport for 3 month and said I will hear from them in that time frame, my fear is if I get denied and in removal proceeding can I claim statelessness to avoid deportation cos I have two kids that I don't wanna take back to my country yet.Don't have a lawyer yet.Just thinking some idea

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Will be an expensive, uphill battle, outcome uncertain, but without a highly experienced lawyer on your side you have no chance whatsoever.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You need to find an immigration attorney quickly. It seems like you will be placed into deportation proceedings, and you need a lawyer to represent you in the immigration court.

DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (818) 639-2692 or or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.



Thanks, i was not expecting a reply that quick, but do u think a lawyer can help my case or prevent me from being deported?

Anna Tsibel Moreas

Anna Tsibel Moreas


Yes, you still have a fighting chance. An experienced immigration lawyer will be able to present your case in the court. You can use Avvo Search to find local attorneys. Good luck!


I would carefully venture to say that being stateless would help your case insofar as it would make it difficult for ICE to effectuate your physical removal. But, not much is impossible for ICE. I agree therefore with my esteemed colleagues' advice that you should hire an immigration attorney. Who knows, perhaps that person will be able to find some type of immigration relief you didn't know you could qualify for.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer