Skip to main content

Can I ask the State of Illinois for a settlement offer on arrearages owed? Child support cases (2) are closed.

Chicago, IL |

Can I offer and get a settlement with the State of Illinois (Judge) for arrearages owed? I owe $16,000 in actual principal and $26,000 in interest totaling $42,000 (roughly). I'm a full-time Northwestern Univ. student and I work but $42,000 is a lot and more interest will probably get added.
Both mothers were on Public Aid when my children were young and received money and insurance from the State but now they're 23 & 20yrs old and the judge has terminated child support for both cases. This arrearage (due to me not working then) is crazy (interest especially) and now they've sent an order to withhold 65% of my income.
Can I BEG the judge for a settlement offer and he reduce arrearage to $20,000 and give me a year to pay it off?
How can live?
Do I need a lawyer?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Check this program out.

It might possibly help you. If not you will need a chil support lawyer.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.