Skip to main content

Can I ask for costs be awarded in a Petition for indirect contempt?

Danville, IL |

Mother has violated several court orders. I am filing a Petition for Ind. Civil Contempt w/out an attorney but I will have costs for 2 subpoenas and filings. Can I ask that those cost be awarded to me in the petition?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will be entitled to fees if there is a finding of contemot.


Yes you can ask for those costs.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Yes, you should be able to recoup those costs assuming the judge finds that her behavior was wilfull.


Yes, you can ask. But generally in a proceeding for fees relating to a contempt proceeding you need to show that your spouse willfully violated a court order without any justification.