Skip to main content

Can I ask for an assets hearing in small claims court for a court ordered unpaid rent debt judgment?

Massillon, OH |

I recently won an unpaid rent award in small claims court. I don't know where the defendant currently works. I'm vaguely aware that possibly he can be summoned to some type of court hearing where he has to disclose any assets he may have so that I can collect monies legally owed. Is this possible and if so what is the procedure? I live in Ohio. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can request a judgment debtor's exam with the court that the judgment was obtained in. You will have to file a Motion with the court. If you don't know how to draft a Motion or if the court does not have any forms, you may even be able to find an attorney to prepare the motion for you on a "unbundled" agreement for a small fee (I would guess $100-$200).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Andrew A. Esposito

Mr. Esposito is a Ohio-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Andrew Esposito does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.



What happens if a judgment debtor's exam is set and the defendant does not appear? Thanks for your feedback!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer