Can I ask for a horse or livestock monthly rental fee?

Myrtle Creek, OR |

my rental fee allows the renter to have 1 dog, 1 horse; but now they want a second horse (stallion), a cow and a pig. can I charge pasture rental fee if I put it in writing as a 30 day notice for each animal? we are on a month to month rental fee with clause that states changes can be made if given proper notice.

there are 10 acres fenced pasture that surround the rental unit.

I would expect that you would want to split out separate leases for the residential tenancy and (semi-) commercial pasture, which I think is what you're suggesting. There are a lot of technical limits on what you can do as a landlord for a residence, including "pet fees" that aren't applicable to non-residential leases. You'd be best served by taking the documents you have and your specific situation to your attorney.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general legal information relevant to the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to your specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further. www.MaugerLaw.com