Skip to main content

Can i apply for the dream act without a diploma?

Asheville, NC |

I had to quit school , because i had to take care of my little sisters special one of them , because she is deaf and mom was the only person the work . . . My dad never help us and he didn't live with us .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


To qualify for deferred action, among other requirements, you have to have graduated high school, gotten a GED, or be enrolled in a program to do so. If you meet all the other requirements, you should consider enrolling in a GED program, which might then make you eligible for deferred action. Deferred action is the proper name for the program started last summer that many compare to the Dream Act.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


you may qualify by enrolling in school at the present time, including a GED program. If you meet the other qualifications the school qualification can still be met.

Contact us at:


There is no dream act, just a policy of this Administration. You should consult an attorney on the subject. You may have some options.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly using the following: Website:; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325.


Unfortunately, there is no DREAM Act as of yet. Right now there is a program called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) for young people who:

1-Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
2-Came to the United States before turning 16
3-Have lived in the United States since June 15, 2007
4-Under most circumstances are now at least over the age of 15-years-old
5-Entered without inspection or status expired prior to June 15, 2012
6-Were present in the United States on June 15, 2012
7-Are currently in school, graduated or received a certificate of completion from high school, obtained a GED or honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or U.S. Armed Forces

Additionally, certain crimes and convictions could impact your eligibility for this relief. As was said by other posters, enrollment in certain GED programs may make you eligible if you otherwise meet the eligibility guidelines. I highly recommend consulting with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.