Skip to main content

Can I apply for N400 for myself and N600 for my child concurrently?

Andover, MA |

I am about to file for my citizenship. My son has a GC like me .

1) I know some people have filed for the child's citizenship along with their own and they said that the child will get the certificate after you get it in a month or so after you get your citizenship. Is this true? Can I apply N600 for my child along with my N400?

2) Does the child need to be taken for identification to get his/her certificate of citizenship?

3) I am planning to send my child to India for studies this June as school start in India at that time. If I file for his citizenship along with me and he gets the certificate of citizenship when he is India. Can I apply for his passport when he is in India?

4) Please advise on issues that I need to consider in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


USCIS Mistakes are made and U.S. Citizenship can be rescinded.

I strongly recommend that you seek an appointment or teleconference with an experienced immigration and naturalization attorney. In general, At least one parent must be a U.S. Citizen at the time of filing the N-600 for a child to derive U.S. Citizenship.

Such activity can complicate matters and may result in the loss of lawful permanent resident status.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer