Skip to main content

Can I apply for H1B with an expired passport?

San Leandro, CA |

I just realized my passport expired in June 2012. My employer is gonna apply h1b for me in April 1, 2013. Can I apply for H1B with an expired passport? Currently on OPT and will remain in the US till I am able to work again in Oct 1.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3


Get an extension through your country's embassy in the US. Otherwise, the USCIS will ask for a copy of a valid passport once you file the H-1B application.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500


I agree with my colleague. I'd contact the embassy of consulate for your home country to learn the procedures for renewing your passport. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues ... contact your embassy:

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.